We all have been there where everybody is really good at darts except you.
And you keep ending up at last in every game.
It can be really embarrassing.
But don’t worry.
This guide here will help you improve darts accuracy tremendously in a very short period of time.
It is really easy to become really good at darts.
You just need to understand some basics and put them into practice.
I promise that after reading this article, your next dart game with friends will not be as embarrassing as your last one.
7 Tips To Improve Your Dart Skills Fast For Beginners
1. Dart Grip: How to hold your darts?
A dart has a tip, barrel, shaft, and a flight from the front to the rear in order.
You hold the barrel with your forefinger, middle finger, and thumb. The grip has to be gentle, but not too loose.
You may also use your forefinger and thumb to grip.
You have to keep the other fingers away from the gripping fingers. The throw has to be smooth and accurate.
Try holding the barrel with two fingers and throw. If you find it uncomfortable, you may use three fingers, but never more than that.
This is very critical to your darts accuracy. So do not take it slightly.
The thumb has to be at the middle of the shaft. You can fold it slightly to make the release easy.
The forefinger should be exactly opposite to the thumb.
If you are using the middle finger, the finger-tip should touch the bottom edge of the barrel. The grip may vary, depending on the length and weight of the dart.
2. How to have the perfect aim in darts?
The parabolic path is stated to be the standard method for getting good aim.
This is physics. You gotta trust it.
You can keep the dart at an angle of 45-degrees (approx) to the floor. Your throwing hand should be at an angle of 40-degre to the back of the barrel. The wrist will be approximately at the same angle.
The forearm should be at an angle of 35-degrees to the wrist. The elbow should be at the same as the forearm. The upper arm should be at an angle of 40-degree with the elbow.
The upper arm should be at an angle of 40-degrees with the shoulder. The angle between the shoulder and the dart’s flight will be approximately the same.
Now, you can use the tip of the dart to focus. Your eyesight should pass through the tip and focus on the target. Start with focusing with one open (with sharp focus) and the other eye closed.
Keep in mind that you do not need necessarily to apply these angles exactly. However, understanding them and trying to be within the range will drastically improve your aim at your next darts game.
And do not forget to relax and breath deeply before you finally throw your dart. Super important to increase your accuracy.
- GROWN MAN GAMES 14 CUP GLOW IN THE DARK BEER PONG - The Grown Man Games Glow in the Dark Beer Pong Set is the perfect drinking game for your next party or tailgate. Beer Pong is a great alternative to other tailgating and party games such as kan jam, bulzibucket, bottle bash, cornhole, ladder golf, and more.
- PLAY ANYTIME - Don't let the setting sun stop the fun. Now you can enjoy Beer Pong all day and all night! The Grown Man Games Beer Pong Set is glow-in-the-dark making it perfect for playing during the day and night. The glow in the dark balls and LED Beer Pong lights make for exciting game play in the dark. Pair this lighted beer pong set with glow sticks and other glow party supplies for the ultimate glow in the dark party.
- PLAY ANYWHERE - Beer Pong is a game that can be played virtually anywhere there's a table or flat surface. The cups are stackable for easy storage allowing you to take your Grown Man Games LED Pong anywhere. Be the life of the party with Grown Man Games Glow in the Dark Beer Pong.
- SUPERIOR DESIGN - The 14 cup Glow In the Dark Beer Pong Set includes 14 clear plastic pong cups for a 6 beer cup + 1 water cup setup on both sides of your playing surface. The set also includes 14 stick on LED Pong lights to light up the base of each cup (7 red / 7 blue), and 4 glow in the dark pong balls. The stick on led light batteries are replaceable. The stick on lights can lose adhesion over time as the batteries are replaced multiple times. Replacement lights are available from Grown Man
- SUPERIOR QUALITY - The Grown Man Games Glow-in-the-Dark Beer Pong Set is the best lighted pong set on the market today. The versatility of day and night play along with exceptional build quality is unmatched by anything else available in this affordable price range. Grown Man Games is a leading supplier of lawn games and party games for both tournament and recreational play. Grown Man Games stands behind each and every Beer Pong Set and guarantees years of fun for your family and friends when y
3. Which target to select?
Landing of the last dart decides the winning point of a leg in the game.
The target will be either the double or the bull’s eye. You can focus at any point of double within the circle.
During the game play, you can select any number between 15 and 20 to hit at least three times. If you can hit these points before your opponent, you have higher chances of reaching zero (wining point) faster than your opponent.
This can be game changing.
4. Increase Your Darts Throwing Accuracy
Body-Position: Your body position with the art board is a very important aspect of accuracy control. Stand facing the dart board with your chest in alignment with the bull’s eye. Then shift your posture with your dominant shoulder and foot facing the board.
Make sure your dominant foot is facing the toe-line of the throw. You have to avoid cross-arm movement while sanding and throwing.
Body-Weight: Your body weight has to be on the center of gravity of your body initially. Then you can shift it onto the dominant foot and shoulder (for ex: right or left) while throwing. It is one way of ensuring accuracy of throwing.
Body-Leaning: You have to lean gradually when you aim and throw. The time can be between 30 seconds and one minute in the initial stages of training. Then you can increase or decrease, according to the gaming conditions.
Breathing: People often underestimate the impact of their breathing and how it can affect their nerves which ultimately will impact your move. Before finally throwing the dart, breath deeply and try to relax and let your body do the work. Trust in your body.
5. Throwing Angle: How to get it right
The trajectory of throwing the dart helps you to aim at various parts within the valid region of the dart board. The angle may be straight (for aiming onto the bull’s eye). It may be parabolic to the straight line at a dipping angle of 45-degrees. It is useful for hitting the double and triple points.
Keeping the tip angle down can push the dart more towards the center of the board. So, you can hit the outer bull’s eye. The throw can also push the tip more towards the inner bull’s eye.
Distance between the standing position and the board is approximately 7’+X”. So, you can calculate the angle of throw based on your body posture, distance, and the throwing speed.
Mark the center of gravity (on the dart barrel) and check the flight path during training. You coach will be able to help you better.
6. Dart Weight and how it can affect your throwing accuracy
Maximum weight of the dart can be up to 35 grams. However, we suggest you to keep it within 24-25 grams. Steel tip with rubber barrel could be the right combination to start training. Then you can aim and throw better.
As you get experience, you may use tungsten barrel with slim diameter. The tip will also be sharper and accurate. Barrel with heavy knurling can give better flight, angle and acceleration.
A barrel which has a gradual increase in thickness from the center towards the tip can be the recommended choice for scoring better.
You have to make sure of selecting the dart which conforms to the standards of the game in which you participate.
7. Dart Flight: Choose Wisely
If you are a beginner, it is better to choose the standard shape of flight. You can learn the techniques of focus and throw. You may choose tear drop shape for better accuracy and flight angle. The parabolic path will be slightly longer, but with better aim.
Six-shape flight is for professionals. They can have gentle flight with accurate landing control. You can keep the dipping angle at the right precision to the bull’s eye (and also the inner and outer of bull’s eye). You may also keep the angle at the perfect angle with relevance to the double and triple rings.
We have given you the most important points for improving your dart throwing accuracy in your next game with training and material selection. It is possible to carry your darts of choice to the game. They have to be within the standards of the match. Keep practicing and you can get better with your playing techniques with time.
Keep in mind that your friends that may seem better than you now are just a few tricks away from you.
The key to be good at darts is to remain calm. If you loose it, then no matter how much you read about darts training, you will keep losing your game.
So, keep your mental game strong and implement the things we talked about in this guide and you will be good to go.
Wishing the best in your next darts game. Show your friends your new tricks.